BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dove vs. Light Bulb

I was sitting in my journaling place enjoying quietly writing in my journal when I heard wings flapping and a distressed sound of a bird. I figured it was just our neighbor's cat doing her cat thing - chasing birds so I ignored it. Again I heard these sounds and thought that there was more than one bird for her to chase. The sound increased and was so pitiful I peeked out the window. My neighbor had one of those energy saving twisty bulbs outside his back door. Hung from the bulb was a small dove. Trapped by its foot. Dangling, twisting and in danger of breaking the foot. It must have tried to land on the bulb and it's foot slipped between one of the twists and was lodged there. It was a sad sight. I ran and got my husband since he is taller than I am. He got his work gloves knowing an injured bird might not take kindly to his intrusion and gently enclosed the bird in his hands. Surprisingly the bird quieted down and let him work. It was tricky to dislodge the bird without causing any more damage to it's foot. He spoke gently to it while working, assuring the bird it would be alright. After removing the bird from its prison he held it gently til it relaxed and then let it go. It flew off to parts unknown faster than I've seen any bird fly. I am sure if I thought hard enough and prayerfully enough I could come up with a spiritual application to this scenario but I'll save that for another post. All I can say now is please don't use these energy saving bulbs outside without some kind of covering.
Just a few moments ago I heard a dove cooing outside my window. A thank you maybe?

0 comments: