BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 23, 2009

THE PRINCESS AND THE BRIDGE

Once on a very exciting trip with the King, the Princess came to a bridge. Here the King stopped abruptly, turned to her and said, "Daughter, there is a very important task I want you to do." The Princess replied "Father, dear, I want to do whatever you wish me to do." The King smiled because he knew that in her heart she truly desired to please Him. He also knew that she would not be thrilled to face the fears she would have to face to obey Him. The trip was necessary for her to trust Him more and know by experience his trustworthiness.

"My Precious Daughter", the King said, "I want you to go over to the other side of the bridge." She was happy to be granted such an easy task to please her Father and King, that is until she took a step onto the bridge. Now this bridge was a modern well constructed bridge, designed and tested by the best engineers in the kingdom. It was perfectly safe, as the King well knew.

The Princess upon taking her first step, felt a breeze on her feet and legs, she looked down and gasped when she saw that the bridge was constructed of open grating. She could see the swirling, churning waters far below and felt a wave of terror sweep through her. She jumped back, feeling confused. Why would her Father want her to go on such a dangerous journey? She said to Him, "Father you know that I love you and want nothing more than to please you, but crossing this bridge seems dangerous and frightens me. I am not sure I can do this task." The King gently spoke, "Daughter remember the book I gave you with all my promises recorded so you will always know I am with you? I know you have some of these promises stored in your heart. Remember all the times you were frightened and felt alone? Didn't I bring you through those times? Have I ever let you down?" The Princess hung her head. She replied, "but Father, that was then and this is now and at this moment I fear this more than anything."

The King put his arm around her and gently led her onto the bridge. She huddled close to Him, eyes closed and thought, as long as I feel my Father here I think I might be able to do this. Then all at once she heard Him whisper "REMEMBER MY WORDS" and she felt Him go.

She opened her eyes and saw that she was standing in the middle of this horrible bridge by herself. She didn't know what to think, she was used to feeling the King always near her and that feeling always gave her strength to hang on. Now that she could no long feel his presence she didn't know what to do, she wanted to cry but knew that would do no good, even so a few tears trickled down her cheeks. She didn't understand why he would leave her alone now. Didn't he love her anymore? Did she displease Him? Just when she felt it was hopeless, she remembered what the King had said as he left her there. She pulled out the little book that she always had with her. It was precious to her because the King Himself had presented it to her, just having it made her feel close to Him. She began to read, the familiar words soothed her and made her feel she could get across that bridge. She took a few tentative steps, but made the mistake of looking down and fear gripped her heart. She started to turn and run back to where she would feel safe, just then a thought, like a voice came to her. "I will never leave you or forsake you", it said. She knew these were the words of the King for she had heard them so many times before. Thoughts of danger and doom began to rush around her head again, especially if she looked down at the turbulent waters below her. Again she heard in her heart, "I will never leave you or forsake you". Since she knew the King never broke his promises she realized that the negative thoughts that were attacking her must be from the Father of Lies.

This ruler of darkness always did his best to prevent the Children of the King from enjoying all they possessed as Princes and Princesses. He especially delighted in causing them to fear for that took their attention off of their love for the King and His love for them and put their attention on themselves. After realizing this she started to read the book again and let all the promises the King had given her, fill her mind and heart until there was no room for any of these evil lies to take root. She lifted her head and said, as if to the air, "I am not going to listen to you anymore, evil one. I am going to believe my Father the King, so in His name go away".

Peace filled her being and just then she noticed the King was standing beside her again. She cried out in relief and puzzlement, "Father, I didn't see you come out onto the bridge. Why did you leave me all alone on this awful bridge?" "Daughter", the King replied, "Don't you believe my promises? I said I would never leave or forsake you." "But Abba, Father", said the Princess, "I couldn't see or feel you here". The King held her close and said "My Little One, you must learn not to trust your feelings more than you trust me. I have never failed you, have I?" The Princess shook her head for she knew this was true. Feelings are fickle and sight can be fooled but the King never fails. She cuddled close to Him as they finished the journey to the other side of the bridge and enjoyed the blessings of each others company. The Princess learned that day that it is best to keep her focus on her King and His word for they are life.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS THIS: FEELINGS CAN BE FICKLE, AND EYES CAN DECEIVE BUT THE WORD OF OUR LORD WILL NEVER FAIL.

Linda Knox Rubenack© 1992

0 comments: