BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 23, 2009

"Walk Don’t Run"

I have a long history of running ahead. In fact I started out by being born ahead of schedule. I just missed being a "Baby Boomer" by a few weeks because I was in a rush to make my appearance. When my Aunt remarried and I first met my new Uncle he nicknamed me "Perpetual Motion". To give you an idea of what I mean, when I was in high school a friend called me and asked me to come over. I told her I had to ask my parents first so I left the phone and asked them. They said yes and even let me use the car. Wow, I was so excited I grabbed the keys to our Ford station wagon and drove off as fast as the law would allow. When my friend opened the door she looked surprised and to my shock said "What are you doing here!" Puzzled I answered "You asked me to come over." She said yes she did but she was waiting by the phone for me to come back to tell her if I could come or not. Then I remembered I never went back to tell her I was coming nor did I hang up the phone--it was still off the hook!!!

Such is an indication of my spiritual life. No wonder the Lord doesn’t tell me very far in advance what he wants to do in my life. Off and running I would go. With or without Him!

I can hear Him in His fatherly voice saying, "Linda, when you run ahead someone usually gets left in the dust, and in your spiritual walk, (perhaps jog would be a better word) it is usually me. The result is you are the one who gets left out in the cold.

Another thing is that running ahead can lead to side roads that I didn’t ordain and never intended for you to take."

He continues, "when you run ahead you run out of my will and will find yourself spiritually "out of gas" because you are running in your own power. My power is limitless-yours isn’t. Also when you run ahead of me you may know that I am speaking to you but you can’t quite hear what I am saying. Better to stay close and hear me loud and clear. Also when you run ahead you miss the interim blessings I had planned for you. I do long to bless you in those times too." When he said this I thought that this is probably why he gives me stories, poems and insights in the wee hours of the morning - that is usually the only time I am not running ahead of Him. How gracious He is to bless me in spite of my silly tendencies. Often I dash through Scripture while He would rather I stroll through His word with Him while He points out things He wants me to see and heed. He wants to bless me, instruct and guide me. He wants me with Him not dashing out in front of Him.

He caused me to think of a t-shirt I used to have. It pictured a formation of ducks flying. The lead duck was looking back at the others and at the same time crashing into a pole. With this visual in mind I thought of the scripture that says "His Word is a lamp". I felt like He was saying to me "Linda did you notice that it says ‘to my feet’ not ‘to my caboose’!"

All I can say now is thank you Lord for pointing these things out to me. Help me to remember not to run ahead. I really don’t want to be out there without you. Thank you for graciously blessing me in spite of myself. Please keep me on a very short leash for I want to be where you are. AMEN

Your Servant Princess Linda Lou.--CBS 1997-98

0 comments: