BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, March 23, 2009

Storms and the Stock Market

Storms and the Stock Market

My husband has found a new "hobby". Investing in the stock market-it’s a scary thing. We have never done anything like this other than IRA’s and retirement funds when he worked for others. These things were in a "controlled" situation, meaning, other people made the decisions where and when to invest. An unexpected inheritance has now allowed Ron to feel comfortable to try his hand at investing with the help of the internet. Perhaps that is why one day during my quiet time the Lord gave me a "stock market tip" in Proverbs 23:23, "Buy truth and do not sell it. Get wisdom and instruction and understanding." then he pointed out where to obtain this stock in Ps 119:160 "The sum of thy word is truth and every one of thy righteous ordinances is everlasting." Wow, a stock that last forever and never decreases in value, yet cannot be bought with money. It’s worth is beyond this world’s economic values. But that doesn’t mean it comes without cost. The cost is time and effort. I found it can also cost me a life of ease for I have an enemy who doesn’t want this stock out in the open. He will fight me tooth and nail to keep me from "buying" this stock and from using it’s dividends. He throws roadblocks in my way as I am buying this stock. Sometimes it’s busy-ness, sometimes it emotional suffering. Suffering any kind of loss throws me into an emotional tailspin and that is when I receive an invitation from this enemy to my own personal pity party. He doesn’t even wait til circumstances present themselves. It seems I am open to these invitations when I see a "storm" is approaching. I thought about this one day when I was sitting in our truck outside Home Depot waiting for Ron to finished doing his "man thing". Often I will go with him on these trips and sit outside and work on my Bible study. This day as I sat there thinking about the question at hand I looked out at the sky. A storm was approaching and anyone who knows me long enough knows that I love rain. I watched with excitement as the blackening clouds approached and my excitement grew as I heard the distant thunder announcing it coming. Lightning flashed against the charcoal clouds and I was more excited than a child at the sight of presents ‘neath the Christmas tree. Now to some black clouds are scary and thunder and lightning frightening but to me these signaled that a cool, refreshing and cleansing rain was on its way. I learned this from a wiser and older (only a year older) cousin who at one time sat with me when we were children and soothed my fears while we watched the lightning flash and heard the thunder roar. It was a lesson that has lasted me a long time and will last me a lifetime. Now I don’t fear the thunder and lightning they excite me. If only I could remember that when the storms of life come. That would be the time to pull out those dividends that God’s stock pays. If I did I would remember that when those storms come that God is there with me, like my cousin was, to soothe my fears and give me a sense of peace and safety. God is always there waiting for me to turn to Him for that reassurance that these storms will not destroy me but that afterward will come a time of refreshment and cleansing.

Precious Lord, help remember these lessons you have taught me. Help me to remember those stock dividends you have available for me to draw on. Your truth and promises that I can stand firmly on when storms rage in my life. Help me to meet these storms with the same excitement as I do rain storms. So when the lightning of circumstances flash and the thunder of the situation roars I will stand firm in your stock knowing that you are right by my side. You will not let me be destroyed and will bring me through to enjoy your "reign" of refreshment and cleansing. You will keep me safe. I praise and love you .

Your Servant Princess, Linda Knox Rubenack

0 comments: